Switzerland, guest of 1st BSVC & IDE (2003) A graphic designer, typographer and lecturer in the southern Swiss town of Mendrisio. In the second half of the 1950s he studied at the École des Arts Decoratifs of Geneva and at London’s St. Martins School of Arts and Design.
In the early 1960s he worked in the Italian design studio, Boggeri, in Milan and then moved to America. In 1967 he designed several pavilions for the Expo in Montreal, which earned him many accolades on the international level. In 1968 he returned to Europe, worked on projects for various publishing houses and also became art director of the periodical, Abitare.
In the 1960s he lectured typography at the Fondazione Cini in Venice, taught at the Schule für Gestaltung in Lugano in 1971, and has been teaching at New York’s Cooper Union since 1987.
Together with Jean Widmer, he won first prize in the 1983 international logotype competition for the Musée d’Orsay of Paris. This was followed by commissions for many sets of posters. In 1987 he designed the signage system and the critically acclaimed corporate identity of the Museo Cantonale d’Arte of Lugano.
In 1971 Bruno Monguzzi received the prestigious Premio Bodoni Prize and in 2000 earned the Gold Medal at the International Poster Triennial in Toyama. He exhibits extensively throughout the world.
Publications: Note per una tipografica informative (Venice, 1964); Lo Studio Boggeri 1933-1981 (Milan, 1981); Piet Zwart – The Typographical Work (Milan, 1987); France Nunoo-Quarcoo: Bruno Monguzzi – A Designer’s Perspective (Issues in Cultural Theory 2) (Fine Arts Gallery, UMBC, 1999); Bruno Monguzzi (Tokyo: Ginza Graphic Gallery, 2000).